Sunday, February 4

an army of one

Current mood: contemplative

Well I'm 30 now. I don't really feel any more mature though. It seems like I still get fooled, I still make mistakes, I still like stuffed animals.

Yesterday around 4:00pm I had a little freak out that I was turning 30 and had the brilliant thought that I should start off my 30's with a clean and organized closet. I have a walk-in closet and I have been shoving crap in there ever since I moved in. So I emptied out all of the contents of my closet into my apartment, mostly on my bed, until it looked like a mini-tornado had torn through. Then I was tuckered. I thought "this project sucks" and took a nap. Around 5:30 I woke up, and had a "oh my god you're sleeping through the last hours of your 20's" moment, so naturally I went to IKEA. I bought some closet organizing stuff and came back. By 8:45 it was all assembled and I had to start putting my closet back together again. Long story shortened slightly, my closet looks pretty good, but my apartment is in pretty sorry shape.

This has been a really weird birthday. I wanted it to feel special, because it's a landmark. Today I really learned who cares about me and who doesn't have as strong of caringness towards me, and I was very surprised at some of it. Acquaintences are one thing...you can't expect anything from then, it wouldn't be right, just hugging them when you see them is enough. It's the people you invest your time and energy into that you suspect you'll get some time and energy back from. Some folks though are just totally great and you'd never expect it. My ex was sweet and set me a nice birthday message. My mom doesn't seem to want to stop calling. One person was particularly surprisingly blank and ick towards me. Things don't always go the way you think they will, no matter how nice a person seems. But, I don't need that crap in this bright shiney new decade of my life. So moving right along, some girlfriends are on their way to come pick me up. We're going to have some fancy appetizers and then hit up 80's night for some dancing. I think dancing to the tunes of my childhood should be completely appropriate for this birthday.

Special shout outs to my family, Nita, M. Money, Margery, Jay (who is lost in Taiwan), Melinda, Tricia, Nicole, Sarah, Sara, Liati, the Dirty Novels, Junie Tune, Alwyn, Sweet John, UPenn Ben, Robert, Asaf and Orf who all made efforts to make me feel special today! Thanks to you I get to enter this new decade of life knowing I have connected with some folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment