Friday, October 28

The Job Interview-Part 2

Current mood: tired

Well the interview was a... well, the interview went... well, I think I... I don't know if I want the job.

I arrived to the familiar smells of fine roasted espresso beans, and although the environment wasn't warm or cozy, the food and coffee smelled very reassuring. I was told to sit and wait, which I did, and after a short wait, the owner sat down with me.

I was asked a total of two questions in my hour-long interview with one and then the other owner. "What is your favorite espresso drink?" and "what is your favorite part of being a barista?" I answered very cleverly that making perfect foam to top off an incredibly dry cappucino, was my favorite part of being a barista because it was the most rewarding. Then I followed with a soft little joke "or, maybe the smell of the espresso beans (insert sweet chuckle here)."

For the remainder of my interview I sat and smiled sweetly, nodded at appropriate moments, and was adequately impressed as they told me the job requirements, difficulties and told me all about their training in Italy. Apparently they really like my smile-and-nod approach--said I had a nice demeanor--So, if I want the job, I just need to call them or, even better, email them. BUT, it's $6.25 an hour (sure, plus tips, but an extra buck an hour...), no benefits, part-time, and I wouldn't be able to even make espresso drinks for about a month.

I think maybe I'm not ready to drop my standards this far. Then again, some employment is better than none, and there are worse places to work... I just need to make up my mind!

Hmmm. I think maybe this blog is less interesting than others. I'm gonna stop now. Stay tuned for other installments, I'm sure they'll carry much more intrigue.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment